Local strawberries have arrived! Yes, a little earlier than most years, this year’s crop is bursting with incredible flavour and disappearing off the stands as fast as the farmers can picking them. And how can they not? The flavour is unbelievable!!! To find local strawberries, check out the FarmFresh Guide’s strawberry page (here) for details and maps on where to buy. And once you have filled yourself with the juiciness and goodness of the fresh berry, try this recipe for a divine fresh strawberry ice-cream:
- 1 pound strawberries, trimmed, halved if large
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Equipment: an ice cream maker (or airtight container)
- Coarsely mash strawberries with sugar, lemon juice, and salt using a potato masher in a large bowl. Let stand, stirring and mashing occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Transfer half of strawberry mixture to a blender and purée with cream until smooth. Return strawberry cream to bowl with remaining strawberries and chill, stirring occasionally, until very cold, 3 to 6 hours.
- Freeze mixture in ice cream maker. If you don’t have an ice-cream maker, place in airtight container and stir contents vigorously every 2-3 hours as it freezes. This will eliminate ice crystals and keep it creamy.
- Transfer from ice cream maker to an airtight container and put in freezer to firm up.
Keeps for a week.